Chicago...

September 1st, 2014
...HERE I COME :)
I will be in Chicago the evening of September 9th. I will have all day free on September 10th...but need to have dinner before we head to the ball game :) and am leaving Thursday morning.
On Tuesday evening hubby will be with me but if anyone is interested in meeting up to go for a Chicago by night adventure that would be great. Hubby is wonderful at walking along and stopping, waiting, waiting, waiting....
If you are not able to meet up then please suggest some great places to go for both day and evening.
Thanks a bunch!
Christine (AKA k1w1)
September 2nd, 2014
I was there a couple of years ago and my favourite thing to see was the Chicago Bean sculpture. Google it if you don't know where it is, but definitely worth a see and fun to photograph
September 2nd, 2014
A lot depends on weather.

1. Tuesday evening recommendations: Start at museum campus, around the Planetarium. There are buses that go there but since time is tight, if you can grab a cab I would. Or if driving, you can find metered parking near on the street leading to the planetarium. You can get great shots of the skyline there, as well as architectural and lake view shots. Walk from there over to Buckingham Fountain. Plan to be there by the golden and/or blue hour as it's beautiful then. Oh, be sure you have your tripod with you. From there, walk or grab a cab to Navy Pier for night shots of the skyline. That's a fairly full evening. Bring snacks as there are not really any places to eat unless you want to walk over the Michigan Avenue before going to Navy Pier. At Navy Pier, do not have your tripod visible as they are not allowed. Once on the pier, if it's not crowded, usually it's not an issue to set up further down away from the crowds. And anywhere along here is fine as you can get a full night of photos at any one of these places and just walking between them.
2. Wednesday morning. A lot of options. You could start at Lurie Gardens by the Art Institute, walk from there over to Millennium Park (Cloud Gate which we all call 'the Bean' is there, along with tons of other interesting areas). Then, you could walk either direction along the Chicago River, and there are great skyline shots in both directions, from the river and from the bridges. Check when they are doing bridge raising for taking boats in -- I think it's only on Saturdays, but there may be a Wed here or there, if your'e lucky.
3. Architecture -- if you're interested, go inside the Chicago Cultural Center on the corner of Washington St. and Michigan Avenue. If you go in the Washington Street entrance the stairs in front take you right up to the largest Tiffany Dome in the world. The smaller dome is on the other side of the building, off Randolph, so don't miss that one either.
4. River tour -- go on one of the Chicago Architectural Foundation river tours, which you pick up at the river (down the stairs at the southeast corner of Michigan and Wacker). They are fantastic, last about 90 minutes to 2 hours, I think. This should be your number one priority on Wednesday -- try to go morning or late afternoon to have good light. You can get tickets in advance on line. The docents are fantastic. Much preferred to the other cruise line which is more touristy.
5. If the weather is bad, check out the Chicago Architectural Foundation walking tours for things like tours of classic skyscraper lobbies, or go to the Art Institute, or if you have a car, head down to the Museum of Science and Industry.
6. Lincoln Park is great -- there's a zoo there (all free, but parking is pricey -- look for street parking but watch the meter as tickets are expensive, or just take buses/cabs). It's off North Avenue, between Clark and Lake Shore Drive.
7. Neighborhoods are fun for street photography from the Gold Coast and Lincoln Park areas -- chic -- to neighborhoods like Little Italy, Wicker Park, Bucktown.
You won't have enough time to do the above...pick and choose as weather and inclination strike you. Have a great time!
September 2nd, 2014
@taffy Taffy, thanks for the info. Makes me think I should spend a few days this Fall in Chicago and enjoy the sights and sounds.
September 2nd, 2014
@taffy I'm out in the Chicago burbs and have done some of the things you have suggested but not ALL of the things you have suggested. I think I'll take note for the next time I'm in town!!

@k1w1 I would also suggest the Montrose Harbor area. Great shots of the city skyline, boats, and there's a jetty to stroll out on as well. Navy Pier is an interesting place for photos as well. There are also a couple of boat tours - ranging in time and cost - that will get you out on Lake Michigan for cityscapes. As Taffy suggested, the architecture tours are fabulous. There are a couple of others that take off from Navy Pier as well. Parking is pricey.

Tickets for the bus tour Taffy mentioned are available in the gift shop of the Palmer House hotel. As I recall, there are multiple options for duration and parts of the city toured.

Enjoy your stay! Happy snapping!
September 7th, 2014
@voiceprintz @taffy @judyleigh Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions. I am super excited and am like a kid in a candy store...I cant decide what to do or where to go :)
@frankhymus Frank: I will be in Kalamazoo on Monday night and Chicago on Tuesday afternoon and evening. I will be wandering on Wednesday, taking in a ball game on Wednesday evening (yep the Jays fan is off to support the White Sox) and leaving some time on Thursday. Want to meet up :)
September 7th, 2014
@k1w1 You should check out @jyokota 's recent postings from the river cruise. That was one of the ideas I'd suggested and it will give you a feel of the scenery.
September 7th, 2014
@taffy thanks. I'll do that.
September 7th, 2014
@k1w1 :) Sorry, won't be in Chica until the Fall. Have a good time this week.
September 8th, 2014
@k1w1 Must be your lucky day! :) There's a Groupon, today, for 40% off the architectural boat tour for 2. Well timed for your visit this week.
Write a Reply