Trichomonosis: Looks amusing but sadly it's deadly

May 3rd, 2015
I saw this shot taken by @pamknowler on the favourite fav thread and knew immediately what it was. It looks so funny, the first time I saw a green finch 'tennis balled' up in this way I thought how amusing it was but having done some research I found that it's caused by a parasite that attacks from the inside resulting in a painful death for the bird. Please check out the link below that explains what it is and gives contact details for reporting.

May 3rd, 2015
Oh dear, poor wee thing. Thank you for the link.
May 3rd, 2015
:(
May 3rd, 2015
Oh so sad.
May 3rd, 2015
@psychographer I'm not sure @pamknowler gets a notice when her name is tagged in the posting. Maybe she will respond to let you know she saw this.
May 3rd, 2015
@grammyn I also commented on her photo Katy. I hope she realises I'm not being accusatory. As I mentioned, when I first saw this I also thought it was a funny sight. I just think it's an important message for any of us that are fond of wildlife and shooting wildlife shots.
May 3rd, 2015
@psychographer Oh, good! I am sure she gets that you were only trying to get the word out! There is such an opportunity here to reach so many more people than in any other way I think! What you are doing is a good thing.
May 3rd, 2015
@psychographer .Thanks for bringing this to attention. I posted a similar shot in March, wondering why the chaffinch wasn't moving about. On reading this, I think it must have had the same problem.
May 3rd, 2015
@psychographer @grammyn @carolmw Thanks for letting me know about the disease - I am so sad if my chaffinch has it. When I watched the video of the autopsy of the greenfinch she said that the bird has trouble eating and is very thin. This chaffinch is constantly at the feeder eating sunflower seeds so does not seem to have that problem. I will watch out for him - he is in the garden most of the day feeding. I thought the chaffinch looked very funny but if in fact he has this parasite it is most upsetting. Should I take the photo down? I don't want to upset anyone.
By the way his mate is also in the garden with him and I think they must be nesting in one of the trees in the garden.
May 3rd, 2015
@psychographer @grammyn @carolmw Having read the article again the RSPB want to know if you see birds that are lethargic and sitting round the feeders not moving looking wet round the mouth. My chaffinch is constantly flying - see my recent shots of him and I have been trying to get a shot of him at the feeder hovering. This is the only time I have seen this chaffinch sitting fluffed up. That seems to be the only symptom and he has only done it once that I have seen. I will keep watching him.
May 3rd, 2015
@pamknowler It sounds like you have nothing to worry about here!
May 3rd, 2015
@pamknowler I wonder if you just happened to catch him where he was fluffing up and the way he's sitting on the fence, it exaggerated it. Interesting to become aware of the disease, but since he has no other symptoms, he may be just fine.
May 3rd, 2015
So sorry for that sweet bird- hope he'll be ok!
May 3rd, 2015
@pamknowler Good to know you have your eye on him and fingers crossed he's not affected...I really hope he's not! It sounds like he may be ok if he's still eating. The ones I have seen look as if they're choking when they try to eat. Honestly, I didn't want to make you feel bad. I just wanted an awareness. No hard feelings xx
Write a Reply