On being a photographer

July 28th, 2015
There are are lots of interviews on the internet with photographers famous and not so famous and I find their individual views on our shared passion fascinating. Today however I came across a clip from photographer Jay Maisel which seemed to me to pack more wisdom into 10 minutes than I have found in a dozen books and all illustrated with stunning photographs that make each of his points perfectly. Essentially, he says, all photographs, no matter what the subject, are a witch's brew of colour, light and gesture... and the photographer is the witch: those are my words, but that's the sentiment. You can find the clip here - https://youtu.be/GzQUp02XfAM
July 28th, 2015
Very insightful. Thanks for sharing!
July 28th, 2015
So interesting, especially his comments about framing! Must try to take something from this, thanks for sharing Richard.
July 28th, 2015
I always thought my letter from hogwarts got lost in the mail ;p

Can't watch this now whilst at work, but will definitely do so when I get home... Tx for passing this link along!
July 28th, 2015
This is wonderful. Thank you for sharing.
July 28th, 2015
@vignouse thank you so much for sharing this. valuable comments all the way through.
July 28th, 2015
Thanks for sharing, as you said 10 minutes packed with the stuff that fills tons of books
July 29th, 2015
yep brilliant... and worth more than every book on the topic i've cracked to date...
July 29th, 2015
Thank you so much for sharing this, Richard! I'd never heard of Jay Maisel, but sure like what he has to say. What an authentic person! Some of his quotes that I really liked: "If it doesn't please YOU, why bother?" "If you love what you do . . . nothing else matters." About framing: "You have to trust your intuition. You have to, first of all, you have to look. And second of all, you have to see." "The old adage 'less is more' is true." And finally, "I would like people to appreciate my work for what it is." Isn't that what we all want? We want to love what we do, and we want others to love it, too. We want to share our enthusiasm/passion, no matter what it is. Just an amazing outlook on photography! :)
July 29th, 2015
Thank you for sharing this info and the link! I enjoyed the whole thing, especially his words on being excited about what we shoot. Great advice!
July 29th, 2015
I don't normally watch videos but decided to listen to this one because of everyones comments. It was very well worth it. I particularly liked his comments about framing and composition and that photography is about selectively deciding what goes inside the frame.

Thanks for posting this Richard.
July 29th, 2015
thanks for sharing Richard. Really enjoyed looking and listening
July 29th, 2015
Thank you. It is indeed inspirational in his words and his beautiful images.
July 30th, 2015
Just watched. Loved it!!!
July 30th, 2015
Thank you for sharing this. Lots of food for thought and great images.
July 30th, 2015
@vignouse Thank you Richard - best 10 minutes i've spent in ages.. may well just watch this again tomorrow. Gorgeous images and his words ring true
July 30th, 2015
Thanks for sharing!! What a joy listening to...
August 10th, 2015
Thank you Richard. Watching this encouraged me to continue to capture what I love. he is a great inspiration as you are. So much to take in for 10 mins.
August 11th, 2015
@pippie I'm glad you enjoyed it Linda: your reply prompted me to listen to it for the fifth time... and this time, like all the others, I took away something new. He's an amazing inspirational man.
Write a Reply