Canon 50mm lens

August 1st, 2015
I am thinking of purchasing a new lens - a 50mm /f/1.8 for my Canon EOS Rebel T5. I was wondering if anyone has this and what they think of it. Thanks! Linda
August 1st, 2015
I have it, and I absolutely love it. It hardly ever comes off my camera.
My stream is basically all taken with the 50mm. It's just such a great lens for the amount you'll pay.
August 1st, 2015
Well... I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from @kidatheart ... Mine is gathering dust... I only use it when I really want the focus on bokeh, and even then, only if I can't get what I want out of my other lenses... I don't like being limited to 50mm - I often want to shoot wider... And in general I find my f/2.8 17-55mm does fine for me (other than being supremely heavy... But then for walkabout I'll generally carry my Sony nex7, and in any event, I find fixed focal length too limiting for walking around with)...

But lots of folks love that lens so don't go by me... It prolly depends on what you want to shoot...
August 1st, 2015
@kidatheart Thank you Krissy! I am excited to get it.
August 1st, 2015
@northy Thanks for your replay. I appreciate all thoughts on this. I am obviously not as "savy" with my camera as most of you. I only shoot on auto - (trying to remedy that) so I think I am going to jump in and try it.
August 1st, 2015
I have the f1.4 and I love it too. Its a great portrait lens. I used to have it on my camera all the time but then it broke. They are quite sensitive to knocks! Now its been fixed and I use it sometime but I also like my 135mm for its DOF. I'm sure you'll love the 50mm.
August 1st, 2015
Make sure you get the new STM version. It can focus closer.
August 1st, 2015
I have the f/1.4 and I tend to agree with @northy in that mine gathers dust mostly. I used to use it a lot but haven't touched it for a couple of years. Horses for courses, I presume.
August 1st, 2015
@kiwichick @creampuff Thanks for your input! I love how helpful you all are when I have questions!
August 1st, 2015
@helstor Thank you so much! I had already ordered it but was able to cancel and re order the STM version! I appreciate your help!
August 1st, 2015
Buy it! It's a fabulous lens and really reasonably priced, it's one of my absolute favorites
August 1st, 2015
I'm with @northy on this one. I almost never use my 50 mm lens. I find the 35 mm better on a crop sensor camera, and it's useful in low light. However, I prefer my Sigma 17-55 mm f/2.8 which I find very useful, particularly for indoor shots, and it's not too heavy.
August 2nd, 2015
@northy @dolphin Agreeing with Northy and Molly. On your APS-C camera, I'd look for the fast 35mm if you want a prime. That will give you the classic "nifty fifty" angle of view, somewhat close to "how the human eye sees." The 50mm would be better suited to portraiture, being a mild telephoto (a full-frame equivalent of 80mm) on your camera.

But as Molly suggested, the f/2.8 Sigma 17-55 is rather a gem for a (relatively) fast constant aperture lens, at a reasonable price. one might wish such lenses came "in the kit" rather than the slow(er) and less expensive zooms at this range.
August 2nd, 2015
Got the f/1.4- great lens- am posting lots of portrait pics in a couple of days taken from this cool lens:)
August 2nd, 2015
LOVE my 50 1.4 when it's working (on full frame).
Yet it's my most problematic lens, inconsistent in auto focus, had it fixed twice already and not working again.
Planning to get 1.8 which has a better reputation, despite being a bit slower and more plastic.

PS -- hardly ever used it when I had cropped sensor. Wished I had a 35 instead.
August 2nd, 2015
@lindagene

For what it's worth, I have a 50mm 1.8 lens for my Sony A6000 and it's my favourite lens: great for portraits and lots of other shots, very sharp photos.
August 2nd, 2015
Sem
got it, love it. hardly ever take it off.
I love it for portraits and for the price, you can't beat it.
August 2nd, 2015
a nifty-fifty

I got one to do bokeh but it's just a fun little lens really.

August 2nd, 2015
Pea
I've got it too and I love it
August 2nd, 2015
I have a sigma 35 fixed because in your crop sensor camera it will be a nifty fifty (as Frank says). It fits a full frame and crop sensor camera in case you ever go full frame. I use it for low light which is fantastic and for portraits/candids. Mine dies not have image stabilization.
August 3rd, 2015
i really think it depends on your shooting style and what body you have. like @northy @creampuff i never use it. I've got both the 1.8 version and the 1.4 version and have to say that while the 1.4 is miles better than the 1.8, I just dont use it - there's a reason why I call the 1.8 a "shifty fifty" rather than "nifty fifty" :)
August 6th, 2015
@joemuli I'm looking forward to seeing your portrait pics!
August 6th, 2015
@lauramalone82 @dolphin @toast @darylo @deeganp @semjaja @frankhymus @joemuli @jyokota @quietpurplehaze Thank you all for your input! I was pleasantly surprised to have so many of you respond to my question. This is one of the reasons I love this site so much. I have ordered the lens and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I'll let you all know how I like it.
August 6th, 2015
@aponi Great pic of a cutie dog!
Write a Reply