I posted my 200th Selfie today!!

December 15th, 2014
That's a whole lotta photos of me. Wow.

Well in my posting, I had someone ask me the following questions and it got me to thinking:

200 selfies....well, that's amazing. Will you give us a resume? Why? How? What have you learnt about yourself? Photography? How have you changed? I think it's really interesting because I cant imagine doing this! Very well done!

And here were my quick thoughts on it:

Wow, interesting questions to ponder. Why? Well I do them because I enjoy it...I'm an actress in my core and it allows me to scratch that itch.

How? One shot at a time. My project is not entirely selfies, entirely anything is boring to me, but I do them fairly regularly. I've been doing 365 for nearly 3 years now. Did a handful of selfies my first year and ramped up from there. Now I am in a project of 7 that isn't a selfie group per se, but a group of storytellers. I tell stories best with myself.

What have I learned about myself? You know, I think I love myself more as a result. I used to have a very low self esteem growing up. Not so much now. I don't think I am amazing and a super model or anything like that, but I am comfortable in my skin more than I have been in the past.

Photography? Selfies are HARD to do. But oddly fun to me. It's hard to get the lighting right, the focus, etc. when you have to jump in the shot. I take bunches and usually get it right once.

How have I changed? I have gotten loads better. Loads. My first selfie was wretched but still very much me. I think I have become a better storyteller as a result. I adore coming up with the settings, costumes, putting together a scene.

Here is #200:

And here is #1 nearly 3 years ago (I see some improvement):

So for you selfie doers out there, how are your answers similar or different. And where are you now and from whence did you come?
December 15th, 2014
YEAH, cool, well done! Going for another 200 :-)
December 15th, 2014
@overalvandaan Hey maybe:).
December 15th, 2014
i love your #200 selfie... really lovely! not easy to post same subject everyday and you are so creative! @amandal
December 15th, 2014
Lol, what an improvement ;) You are inspiring Amanda and I only wish I could feel as comfortable as you taking a selfie. Then again I haven't had the practice you have either. I'm about 190 behind you! Some of my best ones (of the few that there are), are ones with me and a kid in them. And they are the ones I enjoy doing the most too!
December 15th, 2014
200? Wow...I bow down in your presence ;)
December 15th, 2014
@hueymilunz Aw, thanks!

@kiwichick Right...practice makes perfect. The kid ones are so special as a mama. Keep up the good work! Yours are so natural and gorgeous!

@graemestevens Ha ha! I should bake a cake to celebrate or something! Light it up!
December 15th, 2014
@amandal pooh yes...I'll bring the fire!
December 15th, 2014
@graemestevens Bring the skull, too. He can pose with me and my cake!
December 15th, 2014
Yey ! U nailed it,Amanda-- i feel sorry for the Kardashians though:)
December 16th, 2014
Well done Amanda! 365 tsaught me not to be afraid of the selfie but none of mine are as good as yours!
December 16th, 2014
I think there are a grand total of 3 selfies in my project so far, (3 years) and one of those was inspired by you and I loved it. ..I might take more next year ..maybe a whole series of them with the blond wig on ;-)
December 16th, 2014
Impressive!
December 16th, 2014
i have enjoyed each and every one! From the serious to the funny to the sexy to the whimsical and beyond.Keep em coming!
December 16th, 2014
I appreciate your insights as a non-selfie photographer. I enjoy seeing what others have done but am uninspired to follow suit and tag along. However, your sharing about improving skills over time holds a great deal of interest.

By the way, I love #200. Congrats on the milestone and thank you, so very much, for sharing yourself 200 times! :)
December 16th, 2014
I think you have definitely come a long way baby! ;)

Congrats. I've taken a handful, and I dabbled briefly with 5+2 in the early days. Usually take them only if the ONS challenge tells me to. I would like a remote shutter/focus--that would make things a whole bunch easier for me! Who knows, Santa might be good to me!
December 16th, 2014
I love your selfies.. I am still not comfortable to even take pics of myself.
December 16th, 2014
Congratulations! The world will be lucky if I hit 20 selfies! But I do have a small handful at present and I'm still breathing. You and Vikki are my selfie queens!
December 16th, 2014
I've so enjoyed your selfies and your storytelling! The creativity and courage you've shown has been inspiring. So, Congratulations on the 200 posted photos and keep up the great work!
December 16th, 2014
Congratulations! I just recently found your feed/images and really enjoy your work! I'll look forward to going backwards through the 190 or so that I have yet to explore!
December 16th, 2014
I've done mine. Peaked and now that's it done with!
December 16th, 2014
@joemuli I should try that wineglass thing;-) Hahahaha!

@grammyn @newbank @lisatown @paulam @olivetreeann @cheribug @darylo @voiceprintz @mzzhope @northy @suebarni

Really appreciate all of your lovely comments! Hope this encourages you to keep trying them. They can be so much fun!:)
December 16th, 2014
I have about 40 (too lazy to count) and I'm in year 2 but I only posted my first a year ago :D
At first I was really insecure and now I post selfies, selfies, selfies whenever I'm out of ideas... Modern day teen I guess :)
December 16th, 2014
@justaspark And I am a modern day middle aged woman. It's nice and easy (sorta) when there is nothing interesting to shoot and you are stuck at home:).
December 16th, 2014
Congratulations! What an achievement not only with the selfies but with your fabulous progress and creativity too. You rock! I have done a few self portraits but nowhere near that amount, have a long way to go 😄
December 16th, 2014
Bahahahaha! I love #1....that's how I view selfies, too! LOL! But, #200 is beautiful! Congratulations! You are officially the Selfie Queen of 365!
December 16th, 2014
Meg
Wonderfully said! I have enjoyed following your projects, selfies and otherwise.
December 16th, 2014
You're selfies are fab..........the guitar one last week particularly!
December 16th, 2014
i love the creativity and humor of your selfies. keep it up, Amanda!
December 17th, 2014
as a fellow selfie taker, I've always found them easy but then I was always my model for my artwork in the early days so I have hundreds starting years ago. But then the majority of my photos I count as artworks not bog standard photography and I don't really see them as me. As for improvement, well a camera with a flip screen and a remote makes things easier :)
Good luck with the next 200!
December 17th, 2014
Congrats, I don't do selfies myself but do enjoy other peoples :)
December 18th, 2014
Your 200th is very Twilight Prom Scene! Love it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1BgYTZ4Mxc
:)
December 18th, 2014
@tabbycat Ack, that's awful. I don't want to be anything close to Twilight;-). Funny! And thanks.
December 18th, 2014
@amandal Hehee! Awww...well as a worshipper of romance, I think it's bewdiful!! :-)
December 18th, 2014
@tabbycat I do love me some romance. Just never even gave Twilight a try...the popularity of it didn't appeal to me. I've heard it's amazing, but... How ya been anyway?

@houdiniem Lucky lady to have the flip out screen...that would seriously help. Remote is helpful, but hard in ways that I just have 2 seconds to push, pose and lose remote. Not enough time often. My camera is so ghetto that I often can't see if it's in focus or properly exposed until I upload. Perfectionism makes them harder, too. Do you find that you are moody about selfies? Either you really want to do them or don't. I have to be in the right mood. thanks for your comments.
December 19th, 2014
@amandal sometimes I'm not in the mood, or just really rushed but then I quite like that too because you can get something different. But I'm a planner and sometimes get multiple shots done in one day.
December 19th, 2014
@houdiniem I do that sometimes, too, but then there is the outfit change or lack thereof. Are you done now? Or you are in Project X, right? Is that ending in a few weeks? What's next for you?
December 19th, 2014
@amandal year 2 of project x is next and I'm planning another 52 project over on flickr, just working out my themes
December 19th, 2014
@houdiniem Ah good. I keep wondering if I should continue with 365 when I finish year 3 soon. Sometimes I think a break would be nice, but then I don't know if I would be motivated to shoot much anymore and I would miss that and the people. Maybe cut way back and post rarely to my project, but keep up with Mad Hatters. I don't know. Cutting back is something I try to do, but can't seem to. Can't get myself to venture into flickr because I don't want or need one more thing. Same for pintrest, but hubby just signed me up. Not that pintrest is photography, but... Happy weekend.
December 19th, 2014
@roseolivia @homeschoolmom @megstorey @pixiemac @catwoman2

So appreciate your lovely comments, my friends! Thank you!!! And happy weekend! It's Friday Whoop whoop!!!
January 10th, 2015
Brilliant I love a selfie - am now following your project. I have quite a way to go to get to as many as you but I'm working on it. I dont often have the guts to venture out of my house for a selfie - any tips?
January 10th, 2015
@cgarner Just do it. I'm an exhibitionist, I guess. Maybe do it in your yard, back yard first, do them at night, etc. I do many many at home. I'll follow you back.
Write a Reply