Which lens to take?!

May 20th, 2015
With my upcoming Iceland and UK trip I have a conundrum. Naturally, photography is going to be a big part of the trip. I want to take all my lenses of course but my pack horse... I mean husband just might object. I'm already taking my 100mm macro, 24-70 f/2.8, 16-50 f/2.8. I should probably choose between those two also. My conundrum is do I take the 70-200mm f/2.8 which I have taken on previous trips or my new 150-600mm f/5-6.3 which is a HUGE thing that I have nicknamed "the bazooka". Commonsense tells me to stick with the 70-200. What would you do?
May 20th, 2015
Leave the bazooka at home :-)) Give your pack horse, I mean your hubby a break. LOL

I run into this same thing when I travel, and find that my 70-200 works just fine for traveling, and my Sherpa, I mean hubby, appreciates the lighter load.

Now, if you were going to Africa for a safari, I'd say take the bazooka! :-))

Just my 2 cents
May 20th, 2015
@catwhiskers Thanks Nan, I know you're probably right, lol. It never seems to matter what I take you can guarantee I won't have the right lens on at the right moment :)

Oh, yes, I think the bazooka would have to come to Africa with me ;-)
May 20th, 2015
Your choice but remember, you may not be able to get too close to your subject for some of your shots. Consider what light you're going to find. You may get some fantastic shots with the foreshortening effect of the longer lens.
Like I say, your choice, just consider what you want to come home with!
Bon voyage!
May 20th, 2015
@bighotch I know I would really love to take the longer lens I'm just not sure if I should. Sounds like you would take the longer one?
May 20th, 2015
I'm way jealous as I'd love to go to Iceland, you're probably going to do mostly landscape shots in Iceland with all that wonderful lighting & scenery so maybe take the 16-50 & leave the 24-70 at home as they are basically overlapping most of the range & they are both f/2.8 so either one will do great at low light scenes.
I/m not sure what camera you have as I can't see any exif details on your page but if you're using Canon I'd also leave the bazooka at home as the 70-200 weighs a ton as it is!
Have an awesome time & think of all the jealous 365ers you're leaving behind :)
May 20th, 2015
No bazooka. Too big. Poor pack horse;).
May 20th, 2015
do you have a full frame camera or a crop? If you've got FF, then I say take the 24-70 and the 70-200. At FF, the 24 is wide enough and you're going to get distortion around the edges. with 16, its going to be crazy.

I'd leave the bazooka at home and also the 100mm macro unless you absolutely positively want to shoot small animals. This is a holiday where you'll be shooting landscapes and cities more than anything
May 20th, 2015
Since you mention a 16-50 f/2.8 (Sony?), you must have an APS-C camera? I suggest you take it and the 70-200. 200mm should be ample length. If you feel you'll miss out in the middle (do you find yourself shooting 50-70 much?) your 24-70. But I'd leave it at home along with the macro and the long one if bulk is a concern.
May 20th, 2015
Blackmail your packhorse into buying you a superzoom "because it will be lighter and cover the whole range"? If you have an APS-C format camera Something like this?
May 20th, 2015
DbJ
100% agreed with both @toast and @frankhymus

If your camera is full frame, bring the 24-70 & the 70-200; leave the rest saving yourself the trouble lugging it and the risk of breakage or being stolen.

If your camera is crop sensor, bring the 16-50 instead of the 24-70.
May 20th, 2015
@bella_ss
Probably; I'd like some long shots into the early morning mists, you know, a bit of atmosphere!
May 20th, 2015
As I'm in the midst of a trip where I brought my 70-300, 50, 14-24, and fisheye, I am glad I have the four with me, but have not wanted to carry them on a day to day basis. I find that I choose one lens and if it's not the 50, that's the one I usually carry as an extra. So the issue may not be what to bring, but if you bring them, do you have to carry them everywhere? If not, and there's room to take them...maybe save the decision-making to later.
All that said, I don't think I"d take a huge, heavy lens unless the entire trip was about photography (e.g., a photo class). It would be a pain to have to carry at all unless major reason for doing so.
May 20th, 2015
Instead of the big bazooka I vote for the 70-200, and consider a 1.4 or 1.7 tele-converter. They are light weight and can give you that extra reach in a pinch. And I would say to bring the 16-50. There is not a lot that you would miss between 50 and 70mm that could not be handled by taking a step closer with the 16-50 or a step back with the 70-200.

Unless the trip is specifically for wildlife the 150-600 is not going to be practical and at f/6.3 on the 600mm end you will have slow autofocus and need a solid tripod.
May 21st, 2015
I'm taking a once-in-a-lifetime trip myself. One, hopefully you have a good pack for hauling things. I really made that investment because I was taking a good number of lenses and a tripod. That being said, the "beast" may be too much--depends on how much of the trip is photography. My trip is a solo photo trip--yes, it's about much more, but I'm taking EVERYTHING. That does not mean that I'll have everything with me each day, but it will be available. Unfortunately, my 75-300 died and I'm really UPSET that I will not have anything beyond 135mm. So, depending on your interests, take what you can! Have a GREAT trip!
May 21st, 2015
I am travelling at the moment with Nikon D3200 and brought with me 150 - 500, 55 - 300 and 18 - 55. The big brute has been with us on two days Marsh wildlife hunting but we did find it cumbersome so for last two days we have just carried the 55- 300 and found it reached most things fine. We travelled very light on clothing to allow for the lenses etc to come. and I am really pleased to have the 500 for some of the time. I should add that the carrying has very much been done by my sherpa (what would we do without one) what ever you decide have a great time.
May 21st, 2015
@sjodell Haha, thanks Sarah! I use a Sony but the 70-200 weighs about the same as the Canon.

@amandal I know, I know... I'm sure he will thank you all in the end!!

@toast @frankhymus @dbj Yes, Frank is right, it's a crop sensor Sony a77. Thanks for the input guys, I think you've all convinced me the bazooka should stay at home. I will still bring the macro though because I tend to use it quite a bit shooting flowers when I'm away.

@creampuff I do like the look of that lens Eve but I know I wouldn't use it again once I was home. Thanks for your input.

@taffy Thanks Taffy, now I have to check out where you are going! I get so much inspiration from other 365ers' trips. Because we are driving for over three weeks of our trip I figure I don't have to carry everything with me as it can be in the car and easily accessible if I want to swap. So I think I will take the rest and leave the bazooka at home.

@jeffjones Thanks Jeff, you just reminded me that I have a 2x converter! I've never loved it but bought it with my 70-200. Maybe I will get it out and try it again because you are right, it is a light alternative for the extra reach.

@darylo I remember you mentioning your trip, it must be coming up soon too. Yes, I bought a good backpack last overseas trip. So sorry to hear about your 75-300, you will really miss having it with you. I'm glad to hear you are taking EVERYTHING, lol!! I'm the same, I don't need to have everything with me all of the time. My main interest will be photography and I know I will curse not having all of my lenses if I leave them behind. Thank you and you have a great trip too!
May 21st, 2015
@barneyone Oh gosh, now I'm hearing from someone else who would bring the big guy!! We are also taking minimum clothing and have plenty of room in our suitcases. I wouldn't be able to carry the big guy onboard with me though and that might be a concern. Have you packed any equipment into your suitcases? I've seen the way they handle people's luggage :/ My tripod is in my suitcase but it is usually safe there.
May 21st, 2015
@bella_ss Oh my, don't put it into checked baggage! It will have a very good chance of getting broken or stolen.

And.... Have a great trip!
May 21st, 2015
@catwhiskers Yes, that's what I was thinking too Nan... thank you, we will!
May 21st, 2015
@bella_ss Oh! now that is another problem! I carried my "big guy" in his own case on board with me. Sherpa (Himself) carried computer bag into which tickets, money and essential medicines were tucked, leaving me with camera bag as "handbag" into which other lenses and essential spare underwear !! (in case luggage went missing) If you cannot keep your big guy with you don't trust it to the handlers and conveyors.
May 21st, 2015
@barneyone Yes, if I really wanted to take it that is probably my option too. The bazooka has it's own case which could go into my carry-on while my hubby carries the other camera bag. We are allowed a carry-on as well as a personal bag for most flights but the one to and from Iceland is strictly one carry-on each weighing no more than 5kg.

I think I will leave it home this time and see if I really miss it. I do love it though, it is so sharp and I only ever hand-hold it. If anyone is interested it is the Tamron 150-600mm. Quite a few 365ers have it. I love it more than my Sony 70-200mm f/2.8.
May 21st, 2015
When I travel for landscape photography, I always take my 24-70 and 70-200. I have a 2x extender for the 70-200 and have been happy with the resulting flexibility. That leaves the bazooka at home, imo. I've added a 100mm macro and a 17-40mm wide angle since my last big trip but have found that I commonly carry 4 lenses with me most of the time. I usually have no mulish sherpa with me and, so, am constantly aware of the weight and have developed a system that allows me to trade lenses and materials (filters, flash, etc.) in and out of a large backpack - that stays in the trunk of the car - into a sling bag or small day pack for photo walks and/or hiking. You didn't mention a tripod or a remote-shutter release but I've found those to be invaluable as well.

Enjoy your trip! Can't wait to see your photos!
May 21st, 2015
@voiceprintz Thanks for your advice, it sounds like you normally travel with almost the same as I am intending to take. I have decided I will take the 70-200 plus the 2x converter, the 100mm macro, the 16-50 for wide angle but I can't leave behind my favourite lens the 24-70. My tripod is packed in my checked luggage and my remote is in my camera bag. I was going to leave the flash at home since I took it last time and didn't use it. I always have my 9 stop ND filter and polariser with me. Do you find you use the flash much?

Thanks so much, I'm so excited to see Iceland!
May 21st, 2015
I'd leave the bazooka at home :)
May 22nd, 2015
I'm in Iceland right now! Just arrived on Monday morning, heading back home on June 5th.

Sounds like you've come to a pretty good decision, in agreement with what I've been using so far... I'll let you know if my opinion changes!
I left my flash at home and have not regretted it yet... so much light in Iceland all the time!
May 22nd, 2015
@ludgate Oh, I will have a look at your pics, thanks Megan!! We might cross paths at some time :) You would be having a great trip as you're there for so much longer than we are. We only have nine nights.
May 22nd, 2015
@pixiemac Thanks Sarah, the bazooka is staying home this time :)
Write a Reply