Sydney and Tasmania 365ers!

June 26th, 2017
Hello from Chicago! I'm on my way to Sydney tomorrow, and will be there June 29, 30, July 1. Then to Tasmania from July 2 - 9. What suggestions do you have for photo spots, photowalks, or any suggestions at all? I welcome any and all feedback as I have never been to either place. (although I've flown through the Sydney airport many times) Thanks in advance for your tips! And if anyone's available for a meet up, it could be fun!

Junko
@jyokota
June 27th, 2017
I am in Launceston Tasmania... there are so many fantastic things to photograph in Tassie - there are so many national parks and rainforests. Also lots of historical buildings and bridges. My favourite places are Port Arthur (south of Tasmania) Cradle Mountain (north) and Cataract Gorge Launceston. Both Hobart and Launceston are lovely cities and so many cute towns like Ross, Sheffield, Deloraine, Evandale and Lilydale... the big craze in Tasmania at the moment is fungus/mushroom photography - the national parks are apparently full of them! I would love to have the time to go explore.... hope you enjoy your time here not sure if I will have time...but let me know what day/s you are in Launceston (if you come here) maybe a quick catch up could be possible :)
June 27th, 2017
@tibles -- thank you for your answer! We have a hotel in Hobart for the whole time we are in Tasmania, but we are happy to get a car and drive around as well. How long as the drive from Hobart?
June 27th, 2017
it is about 2 hours drive... there is so much to see down south though you may not make it up north!! Huonville is beautiful too and the Tarkine tree walk is supposed to be amazing... you will have no shortage of photographic opportunities...
June 27th, 2017
Sydney is awesome!!!
Kirribilli has good views..but you've just missed out on Vivid Sydney :(
Taronga Zoo is also good for views and animals....
Circular Quay is really good for views as well as sum interesting characters that perform...
Queen Victoria Building is quite pretty as well as really good shops around there..
You could also take a boat around the harbour :)
June 27th, 2017
@sasslater -- thanks for the Sydney tips -- do you live in Sydney?
June 27th, 2017
I dont live in Sydney...live about 45-60 mins away..depending on traffic :)
But i do go in there heaps and love taking photos in there....
You could actually do the boat/ferry trip and taronga and circular quay all in the same day. Take a ferry from Circular Quay to Taronga.
Darling Harbour and Watsons Bay are other choices!
June 27th, 2017
Have a fun trip -- I loved photographing in the Queen Victoria building! And the harbor and bridge of course! Wish I were going to be there too!
June 27th, 2017
Hey Junko - at this moment I am free the Friday - but could get called to work - so if you plan to be in the Sydney CBD let me know and I can head in there - or if you are going to the zoo :)
June 27th, 2017
@annied -- What's the Sydney CBD? Friday could be a good time to meet up!
June 27th, 2017
@jyokota Central Business District - middle of the city - I forget others don't know the term CBD hahaha - where will you be staying?
June 27th, 2017
@jyokota CBD is where Queen Victoria Building, Darling Harbour, Opera House etc are :)
June 27th, 2017
Take a trip on Sydney Harbour. Perhaps upriver to Homebush where the Olympic Games were held, or a fast hydroplane over to manly and back.
June 28th, 2017
I visited in March for 6 days. Besides the usual suspects, I enjoyed shooting at the 3 following places.

IF you're passing by the Hyde Park Barracks Museum, take one lap around the small outside yard. Located 150m north of St. Mary's Cathedral, both adjacent to the North end of Hyde Park.

Powerhouse Museum. Science, technology, ecology museum in an old powerhouse. Bring a FAST lens.

Cockatoo Island. UNESCO site. Originally a prison, was a shipyard from 1857 to 1991. It's big. There will be walking, stairs, ramps and more stairs. Short ferry ride from Circular Quay.
June 28th, 2017
Tasmania: check out Wineglass Bay & Freycinet Point. Also if in Hobart Salamanca. If doing Port Arthur take the Peninsula Island Cruise.

Sydney: Blue Mountains aren't far away, as also Fitzroy Falls. Center Point Tower in the middle of Sydney's center is an obvious one. And Watsons Bay.

Most of all - have fun!
June 28th, 2017
@frankhymus @fotoblah @nicolecampbell @islambad -- thank you for your suggestions! I'm now in LAX, waiting to change to my second flight. Soon, I will be holding my camera and wandering around guided by your suggestions!
June 28th, 2017
@jyokota Can't wait to see what you capture - knowing you it will look 100x better than the real thing!
June 29th, 2017
@islambad -- what an extraordinarily generous comment! (panic, panic -- how could I live up to even a fraction of your expectation???)
June 29th, 2017
NIGHT photography -- does anyone know where the best vantage point is to get the harbor view? (or any other tips for night photography . . .) and I assume it's "safe" to walk around with my tripod and all my camera equipment at night?
June 29th, 2017
If you have an 'open mind' where art is concerned, 'The Mona' just outside of Hobart is a 'must see'. I walked away scratching my head thinking 'What The....".. haha.. But it was very interesting.
June 29th, 2017
@jyokota sent an email...hope I did it right hahaha
July 1st, 2017
@islambad -- that looks like a great place -- heading there for sunset photography tonight. Thanks for tip!

@deborah63 -- MONA is definitely on my to-go list. Hope to have some photos to post from there! :) So you can wonder, huh???
July 1st, 2017
I nearly said Mona too - their boat ride round the harbour is kinda unique if you do nothing else.
Write a Reply