Is it worth it for me to shoot in Raw?

October 18th, 2018
A is Jpeg and B is Raw, I spent the same amount of time editing. What do you think. Many thanks to Joan @joansmor who helped me tremendously.

October 18th, 2018
I prefer the colours of photo A
October 18th, 2018
In a shot like this it probably will not make a big difference. It is when you encounter challenging lighting conditions you will see the benefits of raw. You will be able to bring back overexposed highlights and open up dark shadows that you just cannot fix if you only shoot jpg. Having said that, there is a limit to how much you can tweak a RAW file from a compact camera with a small sensor (such as the FZ and TZ Panasonic cameras).

It is a steep learning curve and it takes time to find a RAW workflow that works for you, but when you get there you will never shoot jpgs again :-)

Here is an example of what you can do with RAW on a small sensor compact. The first is the edited RAW file and the second one is the jpg from the camera.

https://365project.org/helstor/365/2015-04-24
http://365project.org/helstor/extras/2015-04-24
October 18th, 2018
I thought raw is really for editting purposes as there's more detail than jpeg for Photoshop et al.

October 18th, 2018
@helstor That is amazing Helge, thanks for the example. I might be a bit old to learn new tricks, especially if it is a steep learning curve. I will try a few more and then decide. Thanks so much for your advice and input, I really appreciate it very much.
October 18th, 2018
I’ve not looked back since I started shooting in raw and editing in Lightroom.
October 18th, 2018
This is such a great question to have posted. What I've learned over the years (a personal, not a technical response) is that it's all about having the most data/information from your image, so that if you have an idea of what the image is supposed to look like, you have a better chance of achieving it when processing/editing. With jpg, the camera has already made some choices for you about what information to save and what to delete, so you lose a fair amount of control. Sometimes it matters, others it doesn't. If I'm shooting documentation types of shots (a birthday party, graduation) I use .jpg, but if shooting other types of scenes (more for the art of it), I use RAW.
October 18th, 2018
I am lucky that my camera has two card slots so I can dedicate a slot to each format. Like Taffy, I use my JPEG photos for the documentation type photos that I do not necessarily want to edit but then use RAW for my photos that I do want to play with. (although I am really just learning how to process)
October 19th, 2018
@yorkshirekiwi @byrdlip @taffy @farmreporter Thanks so much for your input and comments. I will still play around a bit before I finally decide :-)
October 19th, 2018
@helstor ditto to the above...it's that workfliw & learning curve that I find so daunting! But your examples are a greatvpush for me to get going,
October 19th, 2018
@ludwigsdiana great discussion...thanks for posing it.
October 19th, 2018
@granagringa It has been bugging me for some time now! I am actually too old to start learning new tricks. When I opened the raw image, I got quite a shock. Then tried my normal edit procedure, it was not easy to achieve a good result at first. It is time consuming (which I have too little of) and needs more space as the files are bigger. I will try again though 😉
October 19th, 2018
I edit in Lightroom which applies some edits to the raw file automatically. This means the Raw file looks much the same as a jpg when first imported. I can then decide how far I want to edit with the benefit of all the raw data in the background.
October 19th, 2018
@ludwigsdiana I could have written that..lol...also I don't like being on a computer that long!!! Good luck
October 19th, 2018
@ludwigsdiana I have found with practice lightroom editing gets faster. I usually just look at the histogram to start. I set my white balance, then look to see what the histogram curve shows. Once I get exposure, I drop the black slider to just shy of lighting that arrow in the histogram and then I pull up the whites to what I like. If my highlights are too bright I'll drop them a bit, and if my shadows are too deep then I lift them. Then it's off to the tone curve where I tend to darken shadows a bit and lift whites a bit there. That's pretty much my start and covers most of the edit. Sometimes I play with the filters, but that's most often with extreme lighting discrepancies in my landscapes. I do like lots of the other features, but that came after years of picking up lightroom hints here and there. I would actually use these same edits on a jpeg, but they don't produce the same results as the jpeg has much less data in the image to work with. It really all comes down to what is most enjoyable for you.
October 20th, 2018
@rjb71 @granagringa @aecasey Thanks so much for your response and tips. I will obviously have to see what works best for me :-)
Write a Reply