Church of Baler

The Baler Catholic Church is a historic church constructed from stone and brick which is found in the town of Baler in the province of Aurora. Originally constructed in 1611, the church is dedicated to San Luis Obispo de Tolosa and is known as the site of the Siege of Baler, which took place from 1898-1899 shortly following the end of the Spanish colonization of the Philippines. The current church was built in 1939 but authentic original details may be seen inside, including the old bell, La Campana de Baler. There are markers that indicate the locations where events connected with the Siege of Baler took place.

The church of Baler was originally built in 1611. A Franciscan friar named Francisco de San Antonio supervised the construction of the wooden church, which was thatched with nipa. Dedicated to San Luis Obispo de Tolosa (St. Louis, Bishop of Toulouse), the church was later rebuilt in stone.

The church dating from this period eventually deteriorated. By 1939, First Lady Aurora Quezon led a move to renovate the church. The new stone and brick church has a painted exterior while the interior of the church has largely been preserved
Leave a Comment
Sign up for a free account or Sign in to post a comment.