In our last post I covered just What is a 365 Project? In this post I'd like to cover how to get started and how to keep it up!
1) Pick a Subject... or Don'tMost 365 Projects have some kind of theme running through them, personally my theme is just my life, I use my 365 Project as more of a diary than an art project. You'll need to decide what your project is going to be about. The best subjects are something simple, something you can fit into your daily routine. Whether it's Food, Clothes or your cat, you need to be able to do it all year!
2) Learn To Use Your CameraYour camera will be your companion for the next year or more, make sure you know what all the little buttons do and how to turn the flash or and off, over the forthcoming year you'll become an expert and everyone will flock to you to take their pictures. There are some great resources around the web for learners, is a fantastic resource for photographers looking to improve.Digital Photography School
3) Organise Your PhotosNow I'm not one of these people who categorises and sub-categorises all their photos and spends hours in the process, I simply keep photos organised by the date they were taken, simples. There are loads of Photo organising apps out there in the wild, most are free. Google's Picasa is a great place to start, if you're lucky enough to own a Mac, iPhoto is great too!
4) Update RegularlyOne of the biggest headaches you can encounter is having not updated for a week or so you're left with this big pile of images you have to upload and organise. It's much easier to upload your photos regularly, it helps you keep track of dates and what you were actually doing in that photo.
5) Find InspirationIn the early days I was often quite stuck for ideas, it does get easier! Find something that works for you, there's the Browse section on 365 Project or Flickr Explore is a great resource for ideas. Find a photo you like and try to replicate it, you should of course try and put your own artistic influence into it, it's a great way of getting a good photo and improving your skills at the same time!
6) Keep Your Eye On The PrizeYou will get disheartened, no doubt about it, it could come within the first week or after 4 months, but at some point you'll be saying, why bother? I know I did. Don't forget why you started the project, was it to improve your skills? document your life? just think... after 12 months you will have such a huge sense of achievement, I've been doing my project for nearly 3 years now, it's a part of my life and I love it. I'm sure you'll love yours too.