What's really missing from your photographs?

August 28th, 2014
Hi - wanted to share another useful post from this weeks DPS Newsletter by Olivier Duong :

http://digital-photography-school.com/whats-really-missing-photographs/

I think that nearly a month into my 365, I've realised I can't always shoot something I really want to (even though it's "my" project and I can make it up). Firstly I'm not always where I want to be to take the photos I want, and secondly, I'm trying to follow a daily "challenge", for some variety (!?). It means I am shooting things I'm not used to, or trying new things and not quite getting there ... so I can completely relate to this article ...

Although I live in the (relative) countryside, surrounded by gorgeous landscapes, I am mostly inspired by gritty urban cityscapes and "ugly" things. I am generally a lot happier with the pictures that I take in these environments, than say when I shoot a flower or a set-up still life.

Anyway ... just thought I'd share and see how you felt too ... ?!

K
August 28th, 2014
Awesome commentary! So true ...
It is more difficult to capture the emotion and the moment than taking a picture of a pretty flower, a panoramic view, or a historic building.
I really must make a concerted effort to analyze what draws me to a subject - and try to capture that on film - or pixels in this case - LOL!
Thanks for sharing.
August 28th, 2014
@shotbykaren Fantastic topic, thank you for starting it. I must confess this is my second go at a 365 project - my first was incomplete for the reasons you've higlighted (and in the article as well). And that is, having the boundary of a daily image set against my own personal boundary of whether I feel an image is "good enough" or "worthy" of sharing.

In my first attempt, I ended up taking periodic photo walks or "mini shoots" and would use the select images from those during the week until my next photo walk. I also prefer images that have gesture, emotion, interaction between subject and background, and/or a unique point of view. But these are really hard to get consistently and within the self-imposed guideline of a daily image. Even the great Jay Maisel says that more often than not he returns home empty-handed from the streets. So I'm certain there will be times (and already have been) in my project where my photo for the day will be 'unacceptable' to my own personal standard of an image that I would publicy share. It is my hope though that if this time I push myself through the daily pressure of producing an image that it will force me to develop the mind's eye.

With my second attempt I also thought it might help if I limit myself to a cellphone camera. We all "know" that the camera does not make the photographer, yet my expectations of myself do remain lower for images I've taken using a cellphone camera vs my "good" camera.

Anyway, I've rambled on but great topic and I can relate to both your comments as well as the article...thank you for sharing!
August 28th, 2014
Nice. Great food for thought.
August 29th, 2014
Interesting article....and the author has a point about us not always turning the camera on what is important to us. But....often I don't turn the camera toward people because it changes my relationship with them. Putting a lens between me and my family and friends changes me from a companion to something else...a documenter. It removes me from the conversation, and often makes them uncomfortable. It changes reality in a way that photographing a flower (or the suds in my kitchen sink) doesn't.

Even though I'm terrible at posting regularly now, when I first started 365 it was a fantastic eye-opening experience. The discipline of looking for a picture each day made me stop and look around at the world. And then when I began to compare my pictures to those I saw in the project...I began to see that there was still so much more to see.

So yes, to take a picture just to take a picture often leads to less than greatness, but it can also help you open your eyes.

August 29th, 2014
I consider my 365 a journal more than a means to showcase my photography skills... so for me, I would say I'm missing most impressive qualities that make others on here shine. lol
August 29th, 2014
Excellent example of how differeant we all are here on 365, even if we share common ground.

I grew up with the woods just oustide the door. I live in a city now. I'm way better at street photography than nature photography. I have little patience for flowers, even if I grew up in a 'green fingered' family. I picked up several family traits, but not that one. ;-p

I would like to do more people photography, but I learned years ago to not bug my family or friends when wanting to film or take pictures. People can loose patience with you very quickly.

I found 365 when I, in frustration over having a feeling of getting nowhere with my photography, went looking for inspiration. Best find of my adult life. :-) I've learned more about photography here than at any time previously in my life.

I found during my first year on 365 that taking and posting a picture every day was a very hard task indeed. I don't regret for a moment that I chose to pace myself and let myself be comfortable with how I was following up on my 365 project. For me 365 has always been and will continue to be all about me learning and exploring. And maybe what I appreciate the most having learned, is to see the details of what's around me.

And sometimes I even get to share what I've learned. ;-)
August 29th, 2014
Nice. I hope that I don't have to wait for my Mum to die before I start to take better shots though.
August 29th, 2014
Great article, shotbykaren. Thank you for sharing.
August 30th, 2014
Great article, thanks so much for posting it.
August 30th, 2014
A thought provoking article. Thank you so much for sharing it!
September 13th, 2014
I enjoyed this article - thanks.
October 2nd, 2014
Wow, very inspiring! Thanks!
October 7th, 2014
@shotbykaren Thank you for the link, lots of other interesting stuff on there.
October 7th, 2014
@houser934 I have read what you have written and I found myself nodding in agreement with all you said, thankyou for that.
Write a Reply