Street Challenge 37

September 26th, 2017
I have the honour to host the new street photography challenge!

I confess that a few years ago I had to force myself to take the first candid shots and since then I learned how rewarding it may be, up to winning Street Challenge 36!!!

For this unexpected result I wish to thank so much:

- Richard @vignouse who shortlisted my picture;
- all photographers who posted an entry in the challenge: all of you would deserve the prize more than me;
- all voters, who spent some of their precious time looking at our pictures and placing their preference;
- of course and specially those who voted for my photo: in chronological order @summerfield, @suzanne234, @grammyn, @deborah63, @salza, @ludwigsdiana, @yaorenliu, skipt07, @gazzatron, @henrir, @robz, @fbailey, @rjb71, @shesnapped, @swillinbillyflynn, @mcsiegle. Hope I did not skip any: ladies, gentlemen, you made my day!

Now it's time for me to stop indulge and start challenge no. 37: will you get out on the streets and join? It's real fun!

Here is a definition of street photography copied from the original Street Challenge post:

"Catching a fleeting moment WHERE THE PRIMARY SUBJECT IS PEOPLE, doing what people do, being what people are and which moves the viewer in some way. Street photography is often B&W, but not exclusively or necessarily so. Contains a human presence & element even if it is architecturally inclined. Often defined as "Unposed scenes in public places": so, no street portraiture where the subject is posing - although they may catch you & look into the camera! It does not need to be confined to overtly urban areas - could be a beach (or an airport). Avoid heavy hdr processing, spot-colouring etc..."

If you want to give it a go but find yourself wondering, “should I ask permission before shooting strangers in public places?” then the short answer is "no". but you'll find longer and more helpful answers here:

http://365project.org/discuss/general/27464/candid-photos-of-people-do-you-ask-permission

If you want to know more about street photography, here's a very helpful resource from eric kim’s blog:

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/start-here/

If you are new to this genre, or a bit intimidated, street shots do not have to be close up, they can be silhouettes, or a person from a distance that shows the scale of the location, or an interesting background

This challenge will run from Wednesday, September 27th until Wednesday, October 11... all entries must be taken within these dates.

Please tag your photos street-37

Please also post your photo on this thread to keep this challenge current and to inspire others: I am ashamed I never do myself, but it is really worth doing!

And above all - have fun!
September 26th, 2017
I will try and get some street shots tomorrow when I go for a drive :)
September 26th, 2017
@annied That would be great!
September 27th, 2017
Thought to start with “It is all in your heart” - obviously out of competition!

September 29th, 2017
Engaging and Disengaged
September 29th, 2017
@gazzatron Thank you! Very cool shot, love their expressions!
September 30th, 2017
September 30th, 2017
September 30th, 2017
@annied great shots! The flower photographers are great for the challenge
October 1st, 2017
Skateboarders at Night

October 1st, 2017
@gazzatron cool motion blur!
October 1st, 2017
October 1st, 2017
Would you listen to me?
October 1st, 2017
@caterina Brilliant shot, framing, caption! Thanks for joining!
October 1st, 2017
A two espresso morning
October 1st, 2017
@gazzatron good one!
@swillinbillyflynn may I have four of them?
October 2nd, 2017
@domenicododaro thanks. I have deleted from the competition because I realises the date it was taken was before the start. Apologies
October 2nd, 2017
At the Airport

October 2nd, 2017
About a man and a dog

October 2nd, 2017
@gazzatron Nice entries, thank you! And no need to apologise.
October 7th, 2017
Totally out of my comfort zone!
October 7th, 2017
@salza Maybe out of your comfort zone, but an excellent street photo!
Write a Reply