perplexed ( Camera Choice)

May 4th, 2015
About which Camera to get, I want to move to the next level! Currently have a Sony fixed lens (DSC-XS200v) that does it all and am getting great results, but want to move to an SLR! I am looking at Canon and Nikon and want to stay in the under 800 dollar us range... Will consider all comments!! Thanks in advanced! I take mostly outdoor shots and want to get better close ups of Nature!
May 4th, 2015
I would suggest to keep looking at Sony DSLR's. Sony makes many sensors and parts used by Nikon and canon.
May 4th, 2015
Unfortunately Mickey you are going to get lots of 'definite' answers from all sorts of people that all say different things!

I have Canon because that was what I was used to. The truth is any decent brand is going to have it's own strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I would only choose between Canon and Nikon, but that's because I know very little about Sony. I hear good things though.

Whatever you choose, remember the biggest improvement to your photos (apart from skill) will actually be the lens choice. You are better to get a cheaper body and build your lens collection up over time - then upgrade bodies in a few years. That said, you want to get a body that will deliver you decent performance as well - quite a mine field!!

In Canon land, I would look at something like the Canon Rebel T6i or T6s. Trouble is the lens may push you a little over budget.

Whatever you decide on, have fun! Buying a new camera is a worth all of the angst once you get it in your hands! I started with a 700D for a couple of years (equivalent of the Rebel T5i) and built my lenses up - then just recently upgraded to the 5D Mark III - it's awesome! But, I was getting almost as good shots with my old camera - the new one just makes it easier.
May 4th, 2015
My two cents worth, for under $800 new, the Sony a6000. This kit comes with a 16-50 zoom. If you want longer zooms, like a 16-200, that will cost new about as much as the original kit again. I'd check out amazon.com for used/refurbished kits. There are some good deals, not from amazon directly, but amazon partners, this one for instance. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Interchangeable-Camera-55-210mm-16-50mm/dp/B00NO1T55I/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1430714798&sr=1-3&keywords=sony+a6000

It can do everything an entry level DSLR can, (like even the Nikon D5300 or the Canon T5i), some things (Auto focus and continuous shooting especially) better, sometimes than even more advanced DSLRs. And in a smaller, lighter package. It is a recommended buy by DPReview in their 2014 end of year Midrange Mirrorless Cameras. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6428641287/mid-range-mirrorless-camera-roundup/8

For the record, I am not a Sony owner, but shoot Nikon DSLRs, the D750 and the D7100 as backup.
May 4th, 2015
@brillomick

I have a Sony a6000 - brilliant camera - lightweight but delivers the goods! So far for lens I have a short zoom, long zoom, macro and portrait - love them all!
May 4th, 2015
@frankhymus

I just made my post Frank and then noticed yours above!!!
May 4th, 2015
Don't forget that there are also cameras like Pentax, Olympus and Samsung to choose from as well. As for prices... you will need to check out via Google.
May 4th, 2015
@creampuff Hi Eve. No, I don't forget those other manufacturers. And yes, they do a most credible job too. In fact on early pages of the link I gave above the authors discuss them in some detail. I have shot with most of them (on rental, I love to comparison shop even when not really shopping) and I just think that Sony do a better overall job of the midrange mirrorless camera. Not perfect, no camera is that, but overall, better.
May 4th, 2015
maybe look into some of the fuji cameras, such as the XE-1 or XE-2. They are not full frame, like the canon or nikon offerings, but offer a nice value (in your range) with great quality. They are compact, and have interchangeable lenses. Take a look. Every suggestion here has merit.
May 4th, 2015
I think there's a lot of personal preference involved. that said, I've used Nikons since 1982.

As somebody else noted, There's a lot to be said for a less expensive body, and investing in quality lenses. I've been using a D3200 for a couple of years, but never used the kit lens that came with it. I had a D70 before that (I loved that camera, used it till it died), and the lenses fit the D3200...
May 4th, 2015
I was recently in your shoes Mickey, except I had a dSLR, but wanted to level up. I read and read and read some more. I watched comparison videos on YouTube. It is similar to the battle between Chevy and Ford lovers. Each has its pros and cons. You need to research as much as you can and make a choice based on what they have to offer and what you are looking for in a camera. You said you have a Sony and love the quality. I agree with Frank. I think its would be a good idea to consider a Sony since you like the quality that yours produces.
May 4th, 2015
Oh, and without a doubt, at least go to a store and hold and try several options. And talk to the staff, they usually have nothing vested in selling one brand over the other. I see several in Cleveland after a quick Google. Also Best Buy is excellent for browsing, and the staff have zero interest in selling you anything specific, and are usually very friendly and knowledgeable.

Don't even think to buy sight and touch unseen...
May 5th, 2015
Since the T6i came on the market, I've seen some nice sales on the T5i, which is a wonderful camera, and in your price range!
May 5th, 2015
Thank you all for your time!! I will get to Dodd Camera here and check them all out. My first was a Pentax K1000 I got and still own in High school many years ago. When I got my first digital it was a Sony and have had two since, The first was only1.5 mega pixels and out shot many of my friends that had 2 or more mps. so will look at that, I have heard canon has a bit better video than Nikon, but do not do a ton of video, so will check them all out, heck might even see about getting mine overhauled as the rear screen has kind of worn out! Again thank you for you comments and keep those great captures coming!
May 12th, 2015
Have decided for the best of both worlds! I am keeping the Sony and prob looking to buy a Canon SL1
May 14th, 2015
I have been using Nikon (D)Slr cameras since the F3 and the original D1.... but I have to say that if I was not still shooting sports and already heavily invested in the glass, I would be looking very seriously at the mirror-less cameras and the Olympus 4/3. A foreign correspondent (Jack Kurtz) I know who used to work at the Arizona Republic just ditched all his DSLR cameras and went to Olympus 4/3. They make a lot of sense for general shooting.
Write a Reply