Square September...

October 1st, 2016
...is now over (until next year?) but I wanted to thank all of you who took part: 49 of us posted an image for this theme, some just the one and a few completed the whole 30 days - some were even brave enough to join me in posting B&W and SOOC for the whole month. A total of 689 images have been posted with the tag square-september as at the time of typing - if you can spare a few minutes it's well worth the time to look at them all together.

I had fun and learned a lot and I hope you did too - I'm now quite fond of the square format - perhaps I should join Instagram!

Thank you all for your support.
October 1st, 2016
Thank you for starting this Richard. I had lots of fun with the square - but I have always liked that format. There was the odd day of frustration when I had a photograph I wanted to pursue that just wouldn't fit the square format but mostly it was fun.
October 1st, 2016
Thank you so much Richard für setting up this challenge. This exercise helped me a lot. But I cheated so often, most of my pics are post processed. And now and then I used the big camera, where it is not possible to set 1:1 and I had to crop later. As I mentioned already yesterday, I admire the technical and creative quality of your b&w and sooc work. And it is so nice to see all the pics of the 365 friends who joined the challenge.
Here mine as a collage.
October 1st, 2016
@mona65 You didn't cheat at all Mona - the challenge was simply to render your images in square format, however you got there... and this is a fine set of images.
October 1st, 2016
its always fun to use a square , didnt do the whole month, as i was otherwise occupied, but realised i can set some other different formats on my camera so will investigate that further
October 1st, 2016
@mona65 every one a beauty Mona
October 1st, 2016
It was fun, I'm going to miss it!
October 2nd, 2016
@mona65 @vignouse I never found a way to get my D5100 to do 1:1, but the tablet that we have does do it, so I had a mixture of post and sooc.
October 2nd, 2016
Thanks for hosting this challenge Richard. I really enjoyed the square format and although I did figure out how to get it in all three of my cameras, a busy month drove me to the archives most days so I ended up cropping many of them. I liked the compositional challenge of the square format and I'm sure I will revisit it when things settle down some. In the meantime, I thought I'd post my favorite square/archive shot. While my granddaughter looked cute as a button in the 4:3 format, putting her in the 1:1 kicked up the cuteness a notch and really brought out the contrast between her and the flower. Thanks again for an inspiring month!

October 2nd, 2016
@byrdlip No, the D5100 having only an optical viewfinder, is limited to its native 3:2 format. How you got there doesn't matter although I actually think it's harder to shoot for a crop as you have to remember every time you compose a shot - well done and thanks for joining in.
October 2nd, 2016
Quite a success Richard... I really like the square format and we may now see many more. Thank you
October 2nd, 2016
Next year would be good - thanks for the challenge, Richard. I discovered that two of my cameras offer this 1:1 format and Picasa's CD crop was useful for the rest. Shall definitely be using it more and have just posted one square format which escaped from September!
October 2nd, 2016
thanks for the Month, Richard. There were so many excellent answers to your challenge from the whole gang. Opens up the whole avenue of 'aspect ratio'.
October 2nd, 2016
Thanks so much for the idea! It got a little frustrating towards the end but I had fun with the challenge. It was nice to really push myself to do something completely different. There's no way I ever would've tried shooting in squares on my own.
October 2nd, 2016
Thanks & congrats Richard, this was quiet a success !!!sorry,
I posted only few but I promise next year(?)-am not gonna skip this challenge:)
October 3rd, 2016
Thank you very much for this challenge, Richard! I learned a great deal. I tried to stick to bw, and I confess to a lot of post-processing. I did manage to learn my camera settings enough to set 1:1, and I had fun seeing my world in square bw! Now, you have spurred me to learn to use Manual mode. Back to the books!
October 3rd, 2016
Only saw about this now which is a pity as I would have enjoyed trying it out although I don't do photos all the time. If you do it again could you please tag me. Thanks.
Write a Reply