Flash of Red Finale!

March 1st, 2015
You did it! You posted a black and white shot every day in February with that one flash of red in the middle. Hopefully you've learned a few things and stretched yourself as a photographer along the way. So go ahead take a bow! Post your calendar or a collage of your shots below and tell us what you enjoyed most about "Flash of Red February 2015".

For me, it's always that pop of color and how boldly it stands out in the midst of all that black and white.

My most humble thanks to all who participated in Flash of Red February 2015. It is awesome to see all the photos listed under this tag! And your participation and enthusiasm really encouraged me through an extremely cold winter. So thanks again and hopefully I'll see you here next year!

@Olivetreeann
March 1st, 2015
@ukandie1 @northy @bill_fe @summerfield @salsa @lisaisgoingtofrance @dibzgreasley @rachelwhitey @quietpurplehaze @archaeofrog @melstan @lleo @bella_ss @brigette @skstein @voiceprintz @pandorasecho @alia_801 @juliethephotographer @slmaatta @homeschoolmom @teachntravel @daisymiller @alisonp @krenneker @dannacruzphotography @mcsiegle @lyndemc @nadaa @tabarlett @fullcircle @polarvrtx @overalvandaan @whimsicalgrateful @pamknowler @dtigani @pippie @rosiekerr @paulam @nanderson @morrisphotos @pammerritt @miley89 @dmortega @nkawoods @snz @houser934 @richardcreese @taffy @spikez @stevej @Marilyn @susie1205 @grammyn @linnypinny @royb40 @kiwinana @karlow75

Can you believe it's March? I know some of you are soooo ready for color! But you should be pleased with the way your calendar looks. I can't thank you enough for all the feedback and great shots shared in our weekly discussions. Don't forget to return to black and white once in a while and may there be many happy photo days ahead for you!
March 1st, 2015
here is mine. as i wrote in my blurb, i have a much better appreciation of the genre and i must admit a lot of the photos looked best in black and white. so what can i say, you convinced me after four years. :-)

and thank you so much, ann, for organizing the challenge. you are the challenge meister no doubt!
March 1st, 2015
such fun as always! thank you so much for organizing this and keeping it going :)

March 1st, 2015
Here is mine. I reaffirmed that I really enjoy taking pics in B&W. I've stretched myself this month in two ways. First, I slowed down, in many instances, when composing my shots. I also tried some new processing techniques in conjunction with the Sandbox project and some other challenges. It's been a great month of learning!

March 1st, 2015
I combined alphabet February, black and white, and one little toy. So much fun coming up with ideas and then seeing them in B&W. Thank you Ann!

March 1st, 2015
and I posted mine before but happy to show it again. This was fun and educational and a lot of you leave me in awe at your ability to show detail and beauty I would never notice otherwise

March 1st, 2015

Here's mine. I have enjoyed trying to think in black and white. It's a pity I don't do more of it at other times of the year. In fact, I "cheated" and took plenty of color photos and posted them in my alternates album. But being forced to fill my main 365 album for a month with nothing but B&W was a really good exercise. It reminds me of how much I like monochrome, and how some photos look so much better done in black and white than in color. I'll try to remember to incorporate that more frequently into my project.
March 1st, 2015
@olivetreeann How do I place my calendar in this post?
March 2nd, 2015
Because I can't figure out how to screen print my entire calendar, I did a collage of my favorites. The most interesting part for me was trying to decide which captures would look best in black and white. I'll definitely be doing more B&W in the future.
March 2nd, 2015
Thank you so much for organizing this month Ann, I learnt so much about how to take a strong black and white photo and how to process it. I hope to continue along this path periodically and continue to use the knowledge I've recently discovered.
March 2nd, 2015
@linnypinny Hi Lin, I just learnt how to print screen(PrtSc) from my keyboard, mine is to the right of the F12 key, open in Picasa or paint, save as a .jpg file, crop as you like. I hope this will help you for next time.
March 2nd, 2015
@radiogirl Thanks so much! I'm going to try it!
March 2nd, 2015
This was fun! I had two extra color shots in my main project, due to sentimental value, but every day had a b&w in the main or the extras. I learned how to take a screen shot and crop it, too. :) I really enjoyed this exercise... helped me stretch my compositional skills.

March 2nd, 2015

It was a great project. I learned a great deal ~ There is more to this B&W stuff than I imagined. Thank you for the shove, and the guidance.
March 2nd, 2015
What is it about black and white that is so instructive??? (and not just about b& w) Totally enjoyed this.
March 2nd, 2015
@daisymiller - do a print screen (PrtSc) from your keyboard. mine is to the right of the F12 key. then open the paint program and do a Ctrl + V (or paste). the screen shot will show up and then you can save it as a .jpg file. @olivetreeann
March 2nd, 2015
Although I seldom followed the "rules" I did read the discussions and was happy to have completed the month! i still have lots to learn but enjoyed the challenge! Thanks Ann for the magnificent effort to lead this exercise!
March 2nd, 2015
@summerfield @daisymiller Thanks for answering that Vikki! I was just about to copy the instructions you wrote up for me!

March 2nd, 2015
@nadaa - wow! that's one great challenge you undertook there, nada. congratulations!
March 2nd, 2015

Here's mine!
March 2nd, 2015
@olivetreeann Thanks for hosting this. It was a lot of fun!
March 2nd, 2015
@nadaa Wow, took a lot of creativity to do a month combined like that. Awesome!
March 2nd, 2015
@linnypinny - To do a screen print, if you have a PC, open your monthly calendar then press the Ctrl and the PrtScn buttons on the keyboard at the same time. That places the image in memory. Open PhotoShop or any other photo editing program you have and click on File from the top menu then choose New. Paste the screenshot into the blank. Then crop leaving only the calendar.
March 2nd, 2015
On a Mac it is control and shift and 3 all held together for a screen shot.
March 2nd, 2015

@olivetreeann thank you so much for all your help and advice, and the time you put in for this ~ I learnt so much from it and I think improved as the month went on. I plan to continue to explore BW as a rsult of ths challenge but first I need some colour :-)
March 2nd, 2015
March 2nd, 2015
Bit annoying that my thumbnail is not central though!
March 2nd, 2015

Woohoo! pleased with myself, not just for finishing but I've now learned to do a screen shot!! @skipt07 @summerfield thank you both for the instructions
March 2nd, 2015
well done to you all - they are wonderful
March 2nd, 2015
March 2nd, 2015
I missed a couple days but i had so much fun with it. I will probably back fill the ones i missed.

March 2nd, 2015
Thanks very much for organising this. This was my month - you may need a magnifying glass to see the flash of red!

March 2nd, 2015
Thanks for organising this. It reminded me of how much I enjoy black and white.

March 2nd, 2015
Thanks for putting this together Ann @olivetreeann

March 2nd, 2015
Here is my collage

Thank you so much Ann for hosting this challenge, I learned so much!
March 2nd, 2015
I sort of participated and did a flash of red (sc) every day! Here is my collage!
March 2nd, 2015
@kbird61 I love how this looks, it makes me think I might try a month like this. maybe flashes of green for March? Where I live green is everywhere.
March 2nd, 2015
Well I'm a little late to this thread but thought I'd post anyway.

I set myself the task of doing a combination of Alphabet And Flash of Red February in all three of my albums. At times I wished I hadn't but now I am glad I did, because i pushed myself with the b&w and learnt soooo much.

I have a few gaps in my albums, which I may backfill, but for now, I'm happy. Thanks once again Ann for organising this! Now... what to do for March ...?

March 2nd, 2015
Here's mine. @olivetreeann thanks for hosting this, it was fun.
March 2nd, 2015
@pandorasecho Thanks for your kind comments!
March 2nd, 2015
Here is mine. Thanks for arranging this - i really enjoyed doing it and I love the monthly collage.

March 2nd, 2015

@olivetreeann Thank you for organizing this challenge. I learned a lot about tones in black and white. I could not figure out how to show all of February, so I made a collage of my favortie photos.
March 2nd, 2015
@olivetreeann Although I didn't have the fortitude to participate, I did enjoy following the projects in b&w. Well done Ann!
March 3rd, 2015
@summerfield @grammyn @northy @voiceprintz @nadaa @pandorasecho @mcsiegle @linnypinny @radiogirl @rosiekerr @melston @francoise @homeschoolmom @alisonp @marilyn @miley89 @susie1205 @dtigani @spikez @rachelwithey @teachntravel @salza @nicoleterheide @kbird61 @dibzgreasley @ukandie1 @pamknowler @daisymiller

Wow folks! You're quite awesome. It's so cool to scroll through these awesome calendar shots and collages! Congratulations to each of, and it truly was my pleasure to "host". You all made it easy!

@kbird61 Great idea Kay! Yours was more a "Splash of Red February"!

@kt8ird Thanks Kate! But, I think you can do it- so next year I expect to see Team Bird on board!
March 3rd, 2015

Thank you @olivetreeann for organising this, it has been great fun. One colour (just) crept in by mistake, and one sepia because it looked better and it's still mono! I'm thinking of it as "old" black and white.
March 3rd, 2015
@ruthhill75 I love your old black and white. I had one in x-Ray mode that was a monochrome too, but more greenish. It stood out a mile inthe collage.
March 4th, 2015
@olivetreeann
Thanks for hosting this Ann. I am (so far) continuing with b&w.

March 4th, 2015
@ruthhill75 @bill_fe
Congratulations Ruth and Bill- you've both done an excellent job and your calendars look great!! It was a pleasure and a learning experience for me as well.
March 4th, 2015
Thank you so much for organizing this! It was lots of fun.....Didn't quite know what to do with that extra space at the end, so I added another touch of red, sort of like an exclamation point!
March 6th, 2015
@panthora Great job Osia! The exclamation point is fine! So glad you enjoyed the challenge too!
March 6th, 2015
I commend everyone who did this...the collages look fabulous! I fell off the B&W bandwagon midmonth...maybe I'll try another time when the world around me isn't so grey...
March 7th, 2015
@krenneker That's ok Kristen! For some it's a creative way to deal with the gray. No matter how long you stuck with it, I'm glad you joined in when you did!
Write a Reply