Lightroom CS vs Lightroom CC

September 26th, 2021
I am throwing this question out to hear your opinions on Lightroom. I am particularly interested in opinions of people that used to use Lightroom CS or Lightroom Classic, that upgraded to Lightroom CC or Lightroom Creative Cloud.
I bought a new computer, my old one is 13 years old and it was getting slow and finicky. I have been using PhotoShop 5.5 and Lightroom 5.7 for many years for my post processing. I am considering subscribing to Adobe's Creative Cloud package of PhotoShop and Lightroom bundled. I see that Lightroom CC is very different from the Classic particularly in importing photos and general features.
If you are a former Classic user and have become a Creative Cloud user or tried CC, what are your thoughts?

Here is another reason I am asking. I started using PhotoShop CS and upgraded a couple of times to PS 5.5. That means that I have to install three copies of PS to get to version 5.5 because they are upgrades. Or I can subscribe to CC and avoid all the hastle. But I don't particularly want to have to learn a new way of editing or using what I'm familiar with. I am more interested in your thoughts on Lightroom as PhotoShop looks pretty much the same but offers more features.
All opinions will be much appreciated!
September 26th, 2021
I've used both but much prefer Cs over Cc. For me CC lacks some of the features I use a lot in CS. It's OK but not as powerful. That said I haven't used CC for around 12 months so it could be better now..
September 26th, 2021
I use the current subscription based version of Lightroom Classic. I've used CC a few times, but prefer classic so I don't need to upload anything to the cloud. Although it is nice to be able to create actions in CC, then push them down to lightroom mobile and be able to use them on your phone.

When you get a Lightroom CC subscription you get both CC and Classic. So you can go back and forth without any extra cost.
September 27th, 2021
Like @sudweeks I have the subscription but only use Classic…. I tried the cloud version early on but got confused…. I haven’t gone back to it since!
September 27th, 2021
Classic all the way for me. As Josh says you get both versions with the subscription. I do have the CC one on my iPad, but never use it. I just find it confusing after using classic on my desk top.
September 27th, 2021
I have the subscription for Photoshop and Lightroom CC since last year. I can't handle CC, so I only use my older version which I bought when I started here about 5years ago. Photoshop is fabulous and one always gets the latest update.
September 27th, 2021
The young folks seem better equipped to handle CC. I am NOT. I still use PS 5.5 that came with my CS. Still, there are things PS won't do, so I use On1-10 (Now On1-RAW) as well.
September 27th, 2021
Older version! I have both and the CC is limited.
September 28th, 2021
@rjb71 @sudweeks @northy @yorkshirekiwi @yorkshirekiwi @ludwigsdiana @marlboromaam @mwbc

Thank you, Richard, Josh, Northy, Carol, Diana, Mags, and Megan for all your input.

I am glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't care for the CC version.

It took me a while to figure out how to get the Classic version back and that was by accident.

I see that there are a few new things with the new PhotoShop that will require me to retrain myself or figure how to change some things from the defaults.

Thanks especially for bringing it to my attention that there is a way to get the LrC through the subscription!
Write a Reply