Please critique this photo

April 21st, 2017
Please critique this photo and tell me why most people do not care for it. I love this kind of artsy surreal photo but never get much of a response when I do one. Is it just very incorrect to do it this way? Or is their a better way to get this effect that I am after? Please don't be cruel, but be helpful. I appreciate your opinion.
April 21st, 2017
personally i think its very pretty, as the model is, but the crop and the vignette is a bit close and makes her face look a bit muddy, i think i would trim the very top a bit, as the forehead is a bit too dominant.
April 21st, 2017
an oval frame might suit it better ??
April 21st, 2017
I find the eyes very compelling. I like the effect. I am in agreement with Kali re the forehead.
April 21st, 2017
It's a lovely photo and those eyes are fabulous but I'm not liking the colouring of her face from the nose down, looks muddy as Kali said
April 21st, 2017
If you love it, then who cares. Everyone has their own preferences as to what they like and don't like. If I critique it and tell you what I think is wrong with it am I not just telling you what I don't like about it and not what's "technically" wrong with it?

To me it seems a bit too over processed but, that's the look you were going for, right? Dreamy, surreal looking? Then you achieved that result and, good for you. I think overall, it's a nice picture.

Honestly, I can look at some "artists" work and a lot of the times I think to myself, if I took that picture, I would have deleted it. But obviously, a lot of other people would tell me I'm wrong.

Bottom line, at the end of the day, you're the one who has to like the work you're doing.

Sorry for the little rant.
April 21st, 2017
It's tricky to get shading without looking "gray"...and gray mixed with skin tones tells a special story. If you are going for the "pretty" look, then you might try a warmer color for the vignette to keep closer to warm skin tones around her eye. If you are going for a gray, ice-princess look, then remove the rest of the warm tones from the face?
April 21st, 2017
Thank you all so much for your honest opinions. I think I will take your advice and crop the forehead and make warmer tones. Thanks again. That's how I will learn.
April 21st, 2017
Peggy, if you tag the people who comented they will be sure and see your response. If ou don't they might miss it. I like the photo but also agree with some of the suggestions for improvement.
April 22nd, 2017
The eyes are gorgeous, but I'd prefer it without so much grain. Maybe a softer skin.
April 22nd, 2017
@homeschoolmom @grammyn @houser934 @mkoso65 @kjarn @salza @kali66 @kali66 @salza Thank you so very much for your helpful comments. I will try to crop the forehead and add more color. Thanks again for the help.
April 22nd, 2017
It can be difficult to get objective critique of an 'arty' type photo on 365 - I feel a lot of people tend to use it to show photos of what they've been doing rather than posting photos for photographic critique so perhaps don't appreciate photography for itself. I like the processing, would agree with others to crop some off the forehead to bring the attention more to the eyes, and also remove the grainy greyness from the chin. The effect on her eyes is good, how about a similar one where she is looking straight at the camera?? Keep doing what you're doing :-)
April 22nd, 2017
I really like the processing of the eyes and nose, but there is something about the lips and chin that distracts from the overall photo. The lower half is like an old painting. Not sure if my critique helps, as I don't have any technical skill.
April 22nd, 2017
i like this very much but it's something in her eyes like jpeg artifact or something else that's not so good.otherwise it s a great portrait shot
June 28th, 2017
I hope you will post a link to your re-processed photo here.
July 3rd, 2017
As many have said each person has their own artistic expression and taste or photography would be so boring. Even the rules are meant to be broken,

For me the eyes are in focus and in any portrait the eyes should be sharp -
I personally go for a little warmer look and i kook for that camera model connection which I think gives the viewer more of a response. But again that is my own personal taste and style and you need to do what interests you and helps you be creative unless you have a client purchasing the photo then then their opinion is a big deal.
Write a Reply