Halfway up the mountain view!

September 21st, 2021
I'm a beginner... and today I took my camera seriously, Nikon D5600 with kit lens 18-55mm! I spent the day trying to get some good landscape photos but it was soooo sunny and then not so sunny, cloudy and then not so cloudy! I just can not figure out what looks good after taking the photo. So today I didn't use the light exposure meter because I just didn't think about it... I didn't think about P or S prior to this post.. (googled before posting) but I also have 'in public taking pictures embarrassment' phobia! This causes me to take pictures quickly so as to avoid said embarrassment!
But I pushed through... I really, really want to get good at this... but even so, I don't know how to evaluate a 'good' exposure of a photo!
Example... I'm at at home. I tried using 'P' that gives me a constant fstop and changes the exposure. If I pan the room, the exposure changes with every move! Like millimeter movements! After checking, I felt that some pics were overexposed, others not so much! The same using 'S'. But I feel like I don't know what's the 'right' exposure! I've tried histograms... but that doesn't help. I don't understand them either!
I've watched a million videos, paid for some... none the wiser! Do I need a different lens for landscape? If so what do you recommend? Please help!!

Thanks guys for your patience!!
September 21st, 2021
Welcome to 365! This is a great place for learning and sharing. Early on my journey I attended a landscape workshop and was told to shoot in Aperture Priority Mode (that is A on your camera). For landscapes they said to set the aperture anywhere between f8 to f13 and let the camera figure out the shutter speed. Those settings will give you a large field of focus so the landscape should be sharp throughout. I also have my ISO set on Auto. With the camera figuring out the shutter speed and ISO, I am free to figure out the field of focus (f-stop #) I like.

Remember, the higher the f-stop, the smaller the lens opening and the longer the shutter speed. So be aware of your light. I can't handhold and get a clear image if my shutter speed is under 1/80th of a second. You'll learn how steady you are though with practice, but with good light the shutter speed handheld should be fine with small apertures (high f-stop #'s).

I like shallow depth of focus (soft backgrounds and bokeh) so I tend toward more wide open. Anything from f 1.8 to f 4. I am mainly a macro/nature/wildlife photographer and I like the fast shutter speeds I get with these f-stops. I am trying to learn to appreciate the deeper depth of focus though, so am trying to shoot the higher f-stops.

When in doubt a good, safe fstop is f 5.6. Set your camera to A, dial in an f-stop and see if you like it. My camera is on Aperture Priority at least 95% of the time. I only wander into the other shooting modes in special situations. Start playing with your aperture and see what you like. It is the best way to learn.

Are you shooting in RAW (NEF on your camera I think)? I always shoot RAW. It gathers more data and gives you way more options in photo editing. This can help you work with highlights and shadows when you process your images. I edit in Lightroom. My daughter-in-law is a die-hard Photoshop user. Many people use GIMP. I've never used it, but I believe it's free.

As for over and under exposed, the workshop instructors wanted us to leave our histogram option visible when we looked at the photos on the back of the camera. If the histogram skews right your are overexposed (so set a tighter aperture ... higher fstop #). If it skews left, underexposed (so open your aperture ... a lower fstop # but smaller depth of focus so softer background). Again ... play around.

As for your lens, it has a nice range for covering landscape and food. I can't tell what apertures it goes to, but it should work fine while you get started.

My goal at the end of the day is one good picture. For me I usually take about 20 shots to get the one I like. Good luck!
September 21st, 2021
Hello, you are on the best site for feedbck, support and advice. Join in with challenges and themes and mosst importantly enoy your camera!!.

Can I suggest you look at AYWMC (A Year With My Cameera) a year long course (but can go at your own pace). In 6 weeks you'll be off auto and understand the settings and behaviour of your camera
September 21st, 2021
I’m not familiar with the Nikon D5600, hopefully someone else can help with the specifics. That said, are you using “spot” metering, or average, or something else? If you’re using spot, it wouldn’t be surprising to see exposure change as you move the camera. Average might be a better choice for where you are now.

Meanwhile, I looked at your album, and I think you’ve got a good eye for composition. Keep plugging on the technical aspects of exposure, depth of field, etc. you’ll get there
September 21st, 2021
@amarante Fabulous advice from April @aecasey, I have learnt so much from her :-)
I also did AYWMC before I started on 365 as @30pics4jackiesdiamond suggested, it is a great way to learn. Good luck :-)
September 21st, 2021
I also dod AYWMC and found it gave me the foundation’s. I still refer back to the workbook for AYWMC.
I have a Nikon 5600 and love it. I sometimes take a shot on auto, check the settings then try and replicate it on manual.
Good luck, don’t be daunted and enjoy the journey.
September 21st, 2021
Me again ... I was thinking about your exposure concerns in your landscape photography. One thing about landscape ... most landscape photographers prefer to shoot during Golden Hour ... the hour just before sunset or after sunrise. Best light for landscapes. Blue hour (the hour just before sunrise or after sunset) is lovely too, though, obviously less light and a bit more challenging.

Try doing your landscape photography during Golden Hour. I think you will really love the light.

Also, when you find a photo here that you really like, go to the Exif data and look at the settings the photographer used. You can find that under Photo Details on the right. Locate the Exif and click "View Details." This will show you what settings were used in that photograph. I've found that information really helpful.
September 21st, 2021
@aecasey as well as exif data, I actually ask the photographer what they actually did!! No one on 365 has ever denied me the chance to copy them and all are generous with advice!!
September 21st, 2021
Wow! I think April @aecasey is awesome in her explanation. Also, Jackie's @30pics4jackiesdiamond suggestion for the AYWMC is terrific. The course is also available as a mobile app and the cost is considerably small that way. And it takes you by the hand and gets you off Auto :)
My own penny thought would be to settle on A Aperture) or S (Shutterspeed) and get used to it and see what comes up. I am also 95% - even more - in A.
And the most important thing, give yourself time. And be kind to yourself.
September 21st, 2021
PS: watch out for the 'accidents'. Sometimes they are sooo good!
September 21st, 2021
I've been on here for quite a few years but I still feel like I need to learn more about my camera because everything I do is more intuitive than knowledgeable. Thanks to your question and Jackie's response- I'm going to look into that course- I think it's what I really need to finally think digital instead of how I thought in my 35mm days. Welcome aboard!!
September 21st, 2021
a lot of times the photo straight out of the camera is underwhelming, so some post processing might be needed to get your photo looking how you like it. good advice above from everyone, this is a really great place to learn, stick with your photo a day and follow lots of people here and in no time you will be figuring it all out :)
September 21st, 2021
@olivetreeann you won't regret it Ann. Course is aimed at beginner, with additional projects. I've just started aywmc2, going to be a challenge- more processing involved!! Aaarrrgh
September 22nd, 2021
@aecasey thank you so much for replying! Ok... I will try using the aperture setting today with ISO on auto and I've enabled the histogram! Thank you!
September 22nd, 2021
@30pics4jackiesdiamond Thank you! The responses are amazing! I will definitely try some challenges too. I have seen that course but wasn't sure.. I see a few people have advised doing it so I think I will give it a go!
September 22nd, 2021
@lsquared Yes! It was set to 'spot'. The Nikon d5600 has spot, center and matrix. Thanks for the response... from what I can find, matrix and average are similar?
September 22nd, 2021
@ludwigsdiana Thank you! I'm thrilled to get so much advice from everyone! The course seems very popular here so I will definitely take a look at it!
September 22nd, 2021
@wakelys Thank you! I completely forgot about doing that! I also feel sooo self-conscious using the camera so I tend to just point and shoot quickly! But I'm determined this time and I've great advice to help with todays photoshoot!
September 22nd, 2021
@aecasey Ah... found the exif info! That is so helpful! I'll keep the golden hour in mind also! Thank you so much!
September 22nd, 2021
@monikozi Thank you! Definitely needed that advice! I want this to be a fun hobby so if I get too much in my head I'm more likely to get frustrated! I'll watch for the accidents! :-)
September 22nd, 2021
@olivetreeann Thank you! I'm going to get the course also. So many people have recommended it!
September 22nd, 2021
@kali66 Awesome! Thank you so much! I'll keep at it!
September 22nd, 2021
@amarante from what I can find, matrix and average are similar?
I believe that's right. On my Fujifilm its actually "ALL". I think that "Average" is a leftover from my film days, where the exposure was based on the average light coming through the lens.

I almost always use single point (spot), in combination with the histogram. But I have a lot of experience (if not skills!). I'd think matrix would be good setting for someone getting started.

The current cameras do so much, and it can be a bit daunting. I don't know the AYWMC mentioned earlier, but I'd definitely suggest something like that. In no time it will all be second nature.
September 22nd, 2021
@lsquared Thank you! I set it to matrix today and also advice given from everyone yesterday about aperture priority. Couldn't believe the difference! 

Write a Reply