MacBook specs for photo editing

June 30th, 2024
hello friends - i'm researching updating my very old MacBook pro and thinking about the technical specs (i am not a technical person!! but kinda getting a handle on what means what.. kinda)

Anyways - i'm really keen to hear what other MacBook users are using .. especially if you are editing in LR or PS (i tend to mostly use LR)

I'm interested in what RAM and storage you have and anything else interesting you might have to share. I understand with the new generation M1 -3 chip for mac you can't update the RAM. Ive read that 16 is the minimum RAM and really anything over 24 is way better .. i may go refurbished to save me some $$$

Look for forward to hearing your thoughts and pearls of wisdom.
thanks x
June 30th, 2024
I had a Mac air and really struggled with it. Interested read any responses.
June 30th, 2024
With photo editing the best advice I think is bigger the better. This goes for all departments especially RAM with screen size also being very important. Go for the most RAM you can afford.
June 30th, 2024
soooooooo.... my third to last mac laptop was a basic MacBook pro with very average specs and it struggled big time... so when I replaced it with my second to last laptop I went with top-end EVERYTHING... and the same with my current laptop (which is kinda aging out at this point)... probably way over the top, but it's what we did... i think my current laptop has 16gb of RAM but i could be reading that wrong...

my laptop is still sort of chugging along, but i've delayed replacing it and instead ended up going with an ipad pro - again with all the bells and whistles... the iPad works great for just about everything except intricate PS work...
June 30th, 2024
I am in the same position as you Brigette, looking at replacing my Mac but questioning getting an iPad for ease of travel. I am really interested in this conversation.
June 30th, 2024
@ankers70 i totally love the iPad for travel…. I bought it for that reason…. And then found it so easy to use that it’s what i use most of the time now…
June 30th, 2024
I love my iPad Pro and it works well with LR. I have the biggest screen. I have 256 GB and only using half of it. I do store photos on iCloud, but also keep them locally since I have the room. Most of the time, I keep my screen a bit dim, but when reviewing photos or editing I bump it to maximum brightness.
July 1st, 2024
I have an old MacBook Pro (retina, 13-inch, Late 2013). I'm running macOS Big Sur because it won't update the system any more. I have 8 GB Ram. The smaller 13" screen is actually enough for most of what I do. I can't run an update version of LRClassic because it's no longer compatible, so I'm using version 12.5.1 Photoshop's been updating ok. Anyhoo, there's more than RAM involved, but always go for the most memory you an afford. I bought an iPad to travel with several months back. Unlike others who have commented, I don't like it. The Creative Cloud programs that work on it don't work the same as the programs on the desktop and laptop.
July 1st, 2024
@wakelys @ankers70 you're welcome - hope its helpful to you as well x
July 1st, 2024
@allsop thanks Andrew - very true and probably goes without saying.. feel free to share the specs of your set up
July 1st, 2024
@northy thanks - i recall from our previous conversation about your new preference for iPad .. helpful to know your experience - i'm interested in specs because i'd been told that with LR aiming for over 16 RAM is preferable - but it sounds like this would be more relevant for pro's - semi pro's perhaps - it definitely adds to the cost!! my current MacBook has 8!!! 🥴So actually anything will be better than what i have now!
July 1st, 2024
@shutterbug49 oh thanks - really helpful info - do you shoot in RAW or JPEG
July 1st, 2024
@randystreat My MacBook is around the same age and is struggling big time!! 8 RAM is what i have and insufficient. i have some travel plans for next year .. so just now tossing up new MacBook pro or lean into getting an iPad now.. thanks for your thoughts
July 1st, 2024
I'm still thinking about the iPad but looked at the weight of the new MacPro and the ipad I want and there's not a lot of difference in weight and if I add a keyboard to the iPad it adds more. I am almost at the point of deciding to get
a new MacPro for the added functionality.

Can you use Photoshop on the iPad?
@northy
July 1st, 2024
@brigette definitely. I rely on my iPad but feel a bigger screen might be helpful.
July 1st, 2024
I replaced my old MacBook last year and also ditched my Mac desk top (it had practically ground to a halt. I purchased a new MacBook Air M2 with 24 GB of memory as I never seem to have enough. I also bought a separate large screen display. when I am at home I use the display and when I travel I just have the MacBook Air which is much smaller than my old Mac laptop. It was an expensive decision but one I have not regretted in any way.
July 1st, 2024
@ankers70 hi Suzanne…. Yes - you can use photoshop on the iPad…. It has most functionality, but not ALL the functionality of the laptop…. I find it more cumbersome to use on the iPad - although i expect it’s because I’m not quite using it properly…
July 1st, 2024
Thankyou. I'm not sure that I am yet using Photoshop properly in any case, although I am practising. All takes time.@northy
July 1st, 2024
Helpful. Thankyou.
@nigelrogers
July 2nd, 2024
@wakelys @allsop @ankers70 @nigelrogers @randystreat @shutterbug49 @northy @allsop
thank you all for your thoughts and information! it was really helpful and also glad to know that in this spirit of our lovely 365 community my question connected with others in a similar position.
Anyways this evening I took the plunge and bought a new MacBook pro - refurbished 2023 model - wish me luck x
July 2nd, 2024
Go for it and let me know how it all goes!!
July 2nd, 2024
@ankers70 Thanks Suzanne - i decided i just needed to press 'pay' after all my research and take a leap of faith.
Write a Reply